Friday, June 11, 2010

On My Mind

I have all of these things that I wanted to post and share, but haven't been able to do it. I felt like it was wrong to post all of our summer plans, when I never posted about the death of my father. So like the true coward I am, I just kept putting off posting at all. But here it goes. My dad passed away May 19th. All of his immediate family was there as he left this mortal existence and returned to his Heavenly Father's presence...where I know he was welcomed with open arms.

A few nights after his death, I remembered an incident when I was a teenager. I had gone to Deseret Book for something and came home with this picture of Jesus hugging someone and the caption reads, How great shall be your joy. The expression on Jesus's face is one of pure love. I remember showing this to my dad, and he just broke down in tears. (this was not the first time I saw him break down. My dad did cry, but would try to hide it by doing a snuffling, choking, heavy breathing sound...it never fooled anyone!) For some reason, this memory brought me such peace. My father knew in life who his Savior is, just as I know the Savior knows him.

I will always remember my dad as one of the kindest men. He wanted to be friends with everyone. (As a teen, this was a constant source of embarassment) He never judged anyone and accepted people as they were. I hope someday to be more like him.

Until We Meet Again....I love you



His Legacy.
taken one month before his death

Here is his obituary:
Richard R. Thomas POCATELLO - Richard R. Thomas, 76, passed away on May 19, 2010, surrounded by his loving family.He was born on April 7, 1934, the son of W. Milton and Millee Lewis Thomas. He graduated from Pocatello High School in 1952.He married Claudia Adams in 1954. They were later divorced. He married Donna Wilson in August 1972. They had five children.The U.S. military was his career. He served in the U.S. Air Force in Japan during the Korean War. Later, he joined the U.S. Army, serving in Europe and Vietnam. He retired from the military in 1977. He worked at Defense Depot in Ogden until 1995. In his later years, he enjoyed the Greater Pocatello Senior Center. He enjoyed the dances, the fellowship and singing with the Silver Chords.Due to declining health, Richard has resided at Highland Hills Assisted Living Center for the last four months.He is survived by his wife, Donna; and five children, Michelle (Brad) Smith, Jacki (Keith) Moran, Stephanie (Jef) Hayes, Amber Thomas and Matthew Thomas; and 10 grandchildren, Alex, Jaydin, Madison, Bailey, Emily, Baylee, Kali, Gage, Ashlynne and Brinley. He was their Poppy. He was preceded in death by his parents and two grandchildren, Zachary and Kennedy Moran.A memorial service will be held Monday, May 24 at 11 a.m. at Downard Funeral Home, 241 North Garfield, with a visitation beginning at 10 a.m., also at the funeral home.The family would like to thank the staff and residents at Highland Hills for care and friendship given to him. Also, the PMC surgical floor for the care given to Richard and the compassionate support to his family on that sad day.
Published in Idaho State Journal on May 21, 2010


1 comment:

Beckie said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad, I remember him from when we were younger. He was a very kind, caring man. I hope this message finds you happy and healthy as you know your father is no longer suffering and is now with our Father in Heaven.
Love Beckie (Furniss) Reisen