Sunday, October 10, 2010

Crisis + Time = Humor

Last week, my friend Natalie from work and I took 3 girls from school to the FCCLA Leadership Conference in Layton. (FCCLA is what FHA was for all of us in high school back in the stone ages. If you have never heard of either...google it)
Oh my word! the advisor classes were so mind numbingly dull!
At one point I was thinking, I won't be able to come next year, because I will have a nursing baby. And then I wished I could start using that excuse NOW to get out of the advisor meetings. It was pure torture....worse...the classes were "taught" by other teachers....I really hope I am not that boring.

The only entertaining event was the keynote speaker on Tuesday night.
I can't remember his name (JP or RJ?), he is from Utah State, and he was so funny!
I almost peed my pants...THREE times!

He was talking to the 200 or so teens (and their advisers) from across the state about being a good leader. One key to being a good leader, is to NOT take your self too serious.

He said that in any situation, we must remember that crisis + time = humor.
He then told several "crisis" moments in his own life, that given enough time makes him laugh.
The audience was laughing right along.

It would be just my luck that I had the chance on Friday to experience my own "crisis".
My classes were making cupcakes, and Macy's was out of cupcake liners. So on my way to school I stopped at Albertson's to get some. I found them and then at the end of the aisle, I found cute Halloween ones and they were cheaper! SCORE! I stuff the first packages on some random shelf....and in the process dropped my cell phone. The battery door popped off and my battery flew under the shelf! Great, So as I am getting on to my hands and knees to see if I can retrieve my battery, I think "I am glad I am not at Wal-mart, there floors are way dirty". Guess what? At close range Albertson's stores are not that clean. My battery is under this tiny, dirt encrusted shelf...I can't reach it! So I dig a pen out of my purse to try and drag it to me...just then a worker comes by and looks at me and says, "uhhhh mam, do you need help" I WANTED TO CRAWL UNDER THE SHELF...DIRT AND ALL. No I squeaked, I am just trying to get my cell battery. the worker watched me for a second and walked away. I got my battery, shoved it in my purse and used self checkout ...so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone, let alone look them in the eye.

I know that on the security camera it shows me...with my fanny in the air...trying to get my darn cell battery. I also have nightmares of the employees rewinding the tape and watching it over and over.

I called Brad, once I had reassembled my phone and told him I was calling in sick and going back to bed.
Do you know what he said?

"Crisis + time = humor"

Butt head...
I will NEVER tell him what I learned at Conference again.

No comments: