Wednesday, September 22, 2010

You should see their parents!

Somedays, I have to shake my head at the teenagers in my classes.

Other days I go home and have fake arguments to myself and say all of the things that the law or my union forbids me say. (Ask Emily, she always asks "are you talking to yourself or a student?")

Sometimes I wonder, "who are your parents?"

well, I met some of them over the last 2 days at Parent Teacher Conferences
and let me tell you...



the kids are normal
compared the FREAKY parents we have in Tooele.


One freshman boy's mom is dating a kid I taught 3 years ago...
WEIRD!
(i use the word taught loosely...he NEVER came to class)


Another mom could NOT understand why her kid had an F.
"He only has missed 6 classes and has not turned in 7 assignments...
and did not take the test..."
but how DARE I give him an F!
"you really need to come up with a better grading system" she said
Ummmm-Bi*** you need to get your kid to school
(I didn't say this...but I thought it...SEVERAL times)
I peeked at his midterm...
straight F's
Guess we all need a "better grading system"


Another mom STUNK so bad
I had to breathe out of my mouth to keep from dry heaving...
but that didn't help because then I could sort of "taste" the funk.
The smell was a mix of garbage and (how should I say) "woman's monthly" that needed to be taken care of...a week ago.
It was disgusting.


I had two sets of parents that had to bring an interpreter because they didn't speak English.
I was never sure who I should look at...the parent or the interpreter...
so my eyes kept darting back and forth
I know I looked all "shifty"
(and I got a little dizzy)


Another parent lamented the fact that her teenage son will not speak to her...
at all.
She went on and on about how close they use to be...they went to the store together, church, ball games, practices....trust me it went on and on and on.

then a mother told me all about the troubles in her marriage...

RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER TEENAGE DAUGHTER!

(trust me, her daughter did not need to hear about their sex life...

neither did I, for that matter)

at this point I sent a text to Brad about my being a family/marriage counselor. His response was, Since my department insists on being called Family and Consumer Sciences (instead of Home Ec) I need to be ready for such things.

the next parent teacher conference is in December.

I will be charging extra for family counseling.

No comments: