Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Don't call the Enquirer just yet

It really early. Before 6am
I am bugged because I go back to work today and here I am WIDE AWAKE
But something has been on my mind...

Originally this was supposed to be a sarcastic....passive-aggressive....worldly justification response to the "concern" we have been getting over our age.

But, I can't bring my self to actually type it.

Yes,
we are over 30
in truth we are over 35
and we are having a baby!
We don't feel we need a tabloid headline "Oldest couple in Tooele expecting"

Yes
I realize I am Advanced Maternal Age
Yes, we realize this puts certain risks higher
and while I have several snooty comebacks

the truth is I am scared.

Pregnancy is a nerve wracking nine months for everyone. Maybe I worry about things more than others. But worrying does keep me up at night. Brad is more pragmatic..."worrying does nothing, he says...what happens is what is supposed to happen...we will deal with whatever happens..."

It's not OUR dealing with it that worries me the most.
It's society.
Society is cruel
Think about how often the word "retard" is thrown around.
Heck,
I use it to describe something Brad has done at least twice a month.
The worry that someone may use this word to describe my child
brings out the momma bear in me.

So thank you for your "concerns"
we are not ignorant of the risks, but
we wanted to complete our family.
should we have ignored this feeling?
just because the general population of Utah thinks we are too old.
(and it is a Utah thing)

The blessings outweighed the risks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chelle,

Just wanted to let you know that we are excited for you and brad. We can't wait to have a little one again in the family, since the "babies" are five.

I'm sorry to hear that those who you associate with are shallow and so self-absorbed.

You know, I'm like you when it comes to pregnancy. We are just worry warts, that's how we roll.

Thinking of you and sending positive relaxing energy. Breathe sister, breathe. Enjoy this pregnancy and tell all of those with their "concerns" to fuck off! Yip I said it.

Love,
Your potty mouth little sister, who will kick anyone's ass, who upsets you.